Saturday 27 February 2016

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen



Goodreads : Peyton, Sydney's charismatic older brother, has always been the star of the family, receiving the lion's share of their parents' attention and—lately—concern. When Peyton's increasingly reckless behavior culminates in an accident, a drunk driving conviction, and a jail sentence, Sydney is cast adrift, searching for her place in the family and the world. When everyone else is so worried about Peyton, is she the only one concerned about the victim of the accident?

Enter the Chathams, a warm, chaotic family who run a pizza parlor, play bluegrass on weekends, and pitch in to care for their mother, who has multiple sclerosis. Here Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance. And here she meets Mac, gentle, watchful, and protective, who makes Sydney feel seen, really seen, for the first time.

The uber-popular Sarah Dessen explores her signature themes of family, self-discovery, and change in her twelfth novel, sure to delight her legions of fans.  

Saint Anything was my first Sarah Dessen book and I don't regret it one bit. In fact , the only thing I regret is not reading this book sooner! 
All the characters were so well done , the little things they did intrigued me and the story line was developed really well. Sydney's and Layla's friendship was actual goals and Mac and Sydney had me rooting for their relationship since the beginning. 
I don't really read a lot of contemporary novels but this might just make me change my mind , the relationships between all the characters varied so much and I think that's what partially drew me in. Sydney's life at home is the saddest thing I've probably read in a while , that isn't fantasy. What with her older brother in prison and everything , and her parents who don't really notice her unless she does something that dissapoints them. And then the relationship she has with the Chatham family , with Layla , Mac and their parents comes in and it just makes you want to become part of their family yourself. I don't know about any of you , but I would definitely join the family pizza business .
And then we come to the topic of Ames , Sydney's brothers best friend. I had a bad feeling about him from the very beginning , and I was right to. He was literally the creepiest character in the book , sucking up to Sydney's parents to make sure he could spend extra time with her and then finding excuses to stay in the house and not leave. I'm so glad he got taken care of at the end and I would've preferred he was hit a little bit harder.

With that , I end this review. I hope you liked it and may have persuaded a few of you to maybe read and buy this book! I rated it 5/5 stars on Goodreads and enjoyed all 417 pages of this book and I hope you do to!

Goodbye ,
Bookish Delights x

No comments:

Post a Comment