Wednesday 13 April 2016

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia



Goodreads : Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal. 


Okay , first things first. This book is completely and utterly amazing. I don't think Francesca Zappia could've made it better if she had tried. Second thing , expect to cry.

Alex is a beautiful character and is so well written and honestly I love her so much. She's not perfect which makes her even better , and she knows she has flaws. Though I wouldn't count her schizophrenia as a flaw , more like a quirk. Anyway , she certainly is very entertaining to read about , and I just love how snarky and sassy she is. If I need revenge , I now know to glue their locker shut.

Onto Miles : The Male Lead. Miles came off really moody and not very kind at first , but the more I read the more I began to like him. I began to like his bluntness and his attitude , his backstory really interested me as-well. The German boy who everyone seemed to be afraid off turned out to be my most favourite character. I want him to become real and protect him with my life to be honest... I'm calling this the Nico Syndrom. Named so because of the overwhelming need to protect moody characters.

The Plot really got me into this book. Aside from the plot about the new girl falling in love and stuff , It was a mystery as well. I was always guessing what was real and what was not , but I really wasn't expecting HER to not be real! (You know who I mean if you've read this book) Adding to that , there was a whole myth story as well about a girl who died after the scoreboard fell on top of her at a school reunion , which becomes a huge part of the plot. Basically , this book was Romance + Mystery + YA which makes my little heart complete.

Overall , I gave this book a rating of 5/5 stars on Goodreads! I hope you'll think about at least picking this book up now , and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you do. Thanks for reading!

Goodbye,
Bookish Delights x

No comments:

Post a Comment